Have you ever noticed that people love miniature versions of life-sized creations? Whether it is a baby, puppy, produce or food, we tend to go crazy over their adorable tiny characteristics. Bite sized food is just fun to eat, and when it is Pear Hand Pies? Well that is almost irresistible.
Take hand pies for example. A sugary sweet pastry full of luscious fruits that doesn’t require any utensils. They are guaranteed to put a smile on anyone’s face. Pear Hand Pies are filled with juicy, fresh pears, sweetened with brown sugar to add a caramel taste, and spiced with cardamom for the perfect fall flavor. The addition of sea salt compliments the sweet caramel taste, and the flaky crust is glazed with warm vanilla.
I dare you to eat just one.
Pear Hand Pies with Cardamom, Brown Sugar and Sea Salt
3-4 Medium Pears- cored and diced into ½ inch cubes, about 2 cups
½ Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
½ Teaspoon Ground Cardamom
¼ Teaspoon Sea Salt
2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
Double Pie Crust Recipe: click here
1 Cup Confectioner Sugar
1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
2-3 Tablespoons Milk
- Combine all the filling ingredients and gently stir.
- Roll out the pie crust on a floured surface. (I always use my Pastry Board and Rolling Pin from Bethany Housewares with pie crust.)
- Cut out circles in the dough for your hand pies. I used a 5” diameter circle cutter, but you can use any size or shape you desire. The top of a small bowl, a large cookie cutter, a wide mouth canning ring, etc. (note: the filling amount and quantity of hand pies given are for a 5” crust. Amounts may be adjusted to fit your custom sized hand pies.)
- Place one heaping Tablespoon of filling in the center of each pie crust. Do not overfill.
- Carefully fold the circle crust in half, creating a half circle with the filling in the center.
- Using a fork, crimp the edges of the circle together forming a tight seal. Slit the top of the hand pie to allow steam to vent out when cooking.
- Place the hand pies in the fridge and preheat the oven to 400° F. When the oven is up to temp, brush the pies with an egg wash (egg beaten with water) and bake for 10-15 minutes. When the pies are golden brown remove them from the oven and allow to cool.
- Make the vanilla glaze and brush over the cooled hand pies.
Hand pies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days, but are best eaten same day.