Here in NE Iowa, peaches are only available for a few months of the year. We eagerly anticipate their arrival every summer, and purchase them in abundance to eat as many as we can while they last.
While a ripe, juicy peach is heavenly as is, there is something ethereal when you give it a kiss of sugar and wrap it in a warm hug of pastry. Yes, I am talking about pie. Peach pie is a special summertime treat that we enjoy when there are fresh peaches available.
I keep the recipe simple, letting the sweet goodness of the peaches take center stage. Warm peach pie topped with vanilla ice cream is my idea of the perfect end to a summer meal!
Summer Fresh Peach Pie
Makes 1 pie, 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Bake Time: 45-60 Minutes
1 Double Pie Crust, my favorite recipe here
6-7 Peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Prepare the pie crust and set aside in the refrigerator to keep cold.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently mix the rest of the ingredients together.
- Roll out the bottom crust and place in a 9” pie plate.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Roll out the top crust. You may add a full top crust, or choose a lattice top. If selecting a full top, make sure to cut slits for the steam to vent out of the pie.
- Place the prepared pie in the fridge while the oven preheats. Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Put the cold pie into the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 425°. Lower the temp to 375° and bake an additional 30-45 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is a deep golden brown.
- Place a sheet of tin foil over the pie if it becomes too dark while baking.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool for a few hours before serving.
Peach pie is excellent served warm with vanilla ice cream.
Store the pie covered and at room temp for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for 5 days.
Pie also freezes well. Prepare the pie up through step 5. Wrap with 2 layers of plastic wrap and then a layer of tin foil. Freeze pie for up to 3 months.